[Histonet] HYALURONIC ACID detection

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Sun Oct 31 21:26:38 CST 2004

Some properties of hyaluronic acid.

(1) Stains with alcian blue 8G at pH 2.5
    but not at pH 1.0.
(2) Staining prevented by prior treatment with
    streptococcal hyaluronidase. (Testicular
    hyaluronidase is cheaper & more easily
    available but can also remove chondroitin
    sulphates. Chondroitin sulphates are
    stained by alcian blue at both pH 1 and 2.5.
(3) Staining by alcian blue is reversibly
    blocked by prior methylation of the section.
    Stainability is restored if methylation is
    followed by saponification. The staining of
    chondroitin sulphates with alcian blue is
    irreversibly blocked by methylation.
(4) Negative with classical PAS method but
    becomes PAS-positive if a special
    oxidation sequence is used (Scott &
    Harbinson 1969 Histochemie 19:155-161).

If you have pure hyaluronic acid there will
be no difficulty staining it. If, as is usually
the case, other macromolecular carbohydrates
or glycoproteins (collagen, for example) are
present in exactly the same place, you'll need
to do all the above methods and more. The best
account of carbohydrate histochemistry that I
know is Chapter 15 in Vol 2 of Pearse's
"Histochemistry". It's quite heavy going,
but this is a field where you really do need
to be in command of every step of every method.

Hope this helps.
--
John A. Kiernan