[Histonet] Offtopic - Microscope for kids

Smith, Allen asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu
Sat Oct 30 11:24:14 CDT 2004

I see no problem in getting a microscope for an 8 year old.  Some kids are
precocious.  A good $30 microscope will have only an 8X or 10X lens (in
other words, it will be a souped-up magnifying glass).  My daughter liked to
use one for observing freshwater invertebrates when she was 9.  A $30
microscope with anything more will be junk.  Carolina Biological supply has
a decent microscope (RG-59-1205) for $125.  It is the best I've seen for
under $200.

Allen A. Smith, Ph.D.
Professor of Anatomy
Barry University
School of Graduate Medical Sciences
            Podiatric Medicine and Surgery
Miami Shores, Florida

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Kim Merriam
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 8:18 PM
To: Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] Offtopic - Microscope for kids

Hello all,

My 8 year old son wants a microscope for Christmas.  I have been searching
on the internet for a decent one that does not cost an arm and a leg.  It
seems like there are lots of cheap ones in the $12-30 range and then some
nice ones that are in the $100-200 range.  Does anyone know where I could
get one that costs around $50-70 that is not a piece of junk?  I would like
2 or 3 objectives.  Of course, the slides need not be included!

Thanks in advance,
Kim Merriam
Novartis
Cambridge, MA