[Histonet] wax embedding of plant tissues with latex

J. A. Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Thu Oct 28 14:21:31 CDT 2004

In "Plant Microtechnique and Microscopy," p.43,
S.E.Ruzin says fixation in formaldehyde-acetic-alcohol
is good for preserving laticifers. I suspect that
this would dissolve out the latex before it can
coagulate. On p.70 Ruzin recommends methacrylate
embedding, and on p.143 he says laticifers can be
fluorescently stained, giving a ref to Bruni &
Tosi 1980. Protoplasma 102:343-347.

In "Botanical Microtechnique and Cytochemistry,"
Berlyn & Mischke give a very detailed account
of how to infiltrate and embed plant specimens
but there is no mention of latex.
--
John A. Kiernan