[Histonet] Evans blue dye and myocardial infarction

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Thu Oct 28 00:24:01 CDT 2004

Evans blue is a dye with a large presence
on the Internet and in the peer-reviewed
scientific literature. The properties of the
dye can be found in reference works such
as the Merck index or Conn's Biological
Stains.

In your experiments (quoted below) the
whole heart is stained by Evans blue
because:
(a) there is plenty of collagen in the
heart, and collagen molecules just love to
cling to long disazo dye molecules, and
(b) the animal and its heart were dead
before you flushed out the blood;
trypan blue is excluded only by living
cells. The dye enters dead cells.

Trypan and Evns' blue are the oldest stains
for cell viability. A new application of an
old, cheap dye is always good news.  The
large dye anions are excluded from living
cells, which are not abundant in the hearts
of saline-perfused dead sheep. That's why
your procedure provides all-blue hearts.

The literature of vital/mortal staining with
trypan blue (and the almost identical dye
Evans blue) is enormous, even in the last
5 years. Have you tried a Google search? Both
dyes date from the 1890s and entered the field
of biological staining early in the 20th century.

Your "compromised" heart muscle cells probably
incorporate Evans blue because they are dead,
along with all the other cardiac muscle cells
that kept the animal alive until it's heart
stopped while you were washing out the blood
with saline.

You cite no sources for the techniques that
are not working as expected. Have you thoroughly
evaluated the peer-reviewed literature before
blindly following a list of instructions left
by a former graduate student?  The usual
academic method is to start with the most
recent technique from a paper in a peer-reviewed
journal. If that doesn't work, you check in books
and other papers. When well informed you try
carefully controlled modifications of the older
methods in your own lab.

     -- John Kiernan
        London, Canada.