[Histonet] Bone marrow core biopsy handling

Cazares, Ruth RCazares <@t> schosp.org
Wed Oct 27 09:29:56 CDT 2004

Hello again,

I am interested to know how bone marrow cores are handled out there in
histo-land.  In our lab we put the cores in a formic acid decalcifier
(which is supposed to fix the tissue as it decals according to the
company) as soon as we get it. It stays in for 2-3 hours depending on
the amount of bone it contains.  Then it is processed on the routine
overnight program for large tissues. We do not use a short program for
BM cores.  The H&E's are ok, I guess, but nothing compared to B-5
fixation.  We have gotten rid of all the mercury in our labs and I'm
wondering what are the alternatives that people are using?

Thanks again!

Ruth Cazares

***  Confidentiality Statement ***
This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and then delete it from your system. Any review, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited and may be subject to legal restriction.

Thank you for your cooperation.