[Histonet] shark egg carbohydrate jelly staining

Jen Wyffels & Greg Shafer g_shaferjp <@t> ybb.ne.jp
Sun Oct 24 02:26:05 CDT 2004

Dr. Kiernan and other histonet readers,

More information about the egg case jelly in sharks:

There has been only one paper that investigated the composition of the 3
different egg jellys in elasmobranch eggs.  In that report there was no
protein associated with any jelly layer.  The different layers were analyzed
after hydrolysis for neutral and amino sugars by HPLC and found to contain
different proportions and increasing concentrations of the same 4 sugars,
glucosamine, galactose, galactosamine and fucose.  Note, acidic sugars if
present were not measured.  The liquid egg jelly (1) was analyzed by gel
electrophoresis and had components ranging in size from 31 to 200 kDa as
stained by alcian blue, and again no protein was found in the same samples
(comasssie blue stain).

Size does matter....these eggs are at the smallest 70mm by 20 mm, 15mm thick
and the larger eggs are 150mm by 70mm, 35mm thick, both measurements include
the egg shell (0.5mm thick).  I am afraid I cannot embed and section either
egg.  I was thinking more of immersing the entire egg after removing the top
half of the shell to expose the contents within.  I was hoping that the
jelly layers would stain differently (either a single stain or multiple) and
yield a gradient of color(s) from the center liquid jelly (1) through the
next mucus like jelly (2) to the edges of the egg case where the dense jelly
(3) is concentrated.  I can easily use a fixative on the entire egg, but
complete penetration through the jelly may not be possible without
disrupting its normal distribution.  The dense jelly 3 will not separate
from the egg case but the mucus jelly (2) and the liquid jelly (1) are
readily lost if the egg is tipped over.  I realize the liquid jelly (1) will
be lost in any staining technique so I will remove it and attempt to stain
it with the same method as the egg but in a test tube.  I have already
prepared some eggs with embryos in 10% formalin and I can add that the jelly
(2) turns from a clear snot to an opaque white color after fixation.  The
dense jelly (3) is opaque and sometimes has a slight yellow cast before
fixation.

I hope this information helps, I appreciate the time you have taken to
consider this staining adventure.  Jen