[Histonet] IHC withquantum dots

Baowei Peng pengbw <@t> sjtu.edu.cn
Mon Oct 18 20:48:58 CDT 2004

Dear LaCinda

I draw the conclusion based on my experience. I have no idea of the mechanism or explain to this phenomena.
What I had done was using QDs as a tracer which was thought being taken up by macrophages and/or DCs. Then I made frozen sections of the draining lymph node (LN) which drain the tissue where QDs were applied. I used DAPI to stain the nucleus of cell and after that use UV to excitated both DAPI and QDs. What I had seen was that blue(nucleus) and yellow (QDs) were distinctive. The two color never overlap as I had thought. I\\\'m sure there should some cells in the drain LN had taken up QDs.
I think since both blue(nucleus) and yellow (QDs) were excitated by UV at the same time, they may interfere each other and only one color(wavelength) emisson.
Hope this make can help!

Baowei Peng

----- Original Message -----
From: "LaCinda Burchell" <ljb <@t> medicine.wisc.edu>
To: <Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>, <pengbw <@t> sjtu.edu.cn>
Subject: Re: [Histonet] IHC withquantum dots

Dear Baowei Peng,
  Can you tell us why we can\'t co-localize?  Cindy B

LaCinda Burchell, BA, AS, HT(ASCP)
University of Wisconsin-Madison, Medical School
Asthma and Allergy Research IHC Lab
600 Highland Ave.  CSC  K4/913
Madison, Wisconsin  53792

Phone: 608-262-3518
FAX:     608-263-3746

>>> Baowei Peng <pengbw <@t> sjtu.edu.cn> 10/14/2004 2:20:32 AM >>>

We have a fellow in our lab who worked on QDs (quantum dots).
So I have learned that most QDs can be excitated under wave length
about between 400-600nm.
It means that you can use one certain wave length to excitate several
different QDs which are distinctive in emission wave length (thus
different in color). But the drawback is that you can not use two or
more QDs in order to see colocalization such as nucleus and membrane
molecules of the same cell.

Baowei Peng
1954 Huashan Road
Pharmacy School