[Histonet] GAG staining

Kim Merriam kmerriam2003 <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 11:23:28 CDT 2004

Mary Lou,

At my last job, we did Alcian Blue stain for GAGs.  You will need to check the textbooks to determine which pH to use, based on the type of GAGs you will be staining for.  We actually fixed our tissues in methacarn, which yielded the best results for our particular application.  I think we were using the Alcian Blue, pH 1.0; I'm pretty sure that this solution does go bad over time, and it needed to be made once per month or so.  Alcian Blue is difficult to dissolve, so if you can buy the solution already made up, that would be the easiest thing to do.

Hope this helps,

Kim Merriam
Novartis
Cambridge, MA

Mary Lou Norman <mlm11 <@t> cornell.edu> wrote:
Hello Histonet,

I need some insight on GAG staining please. I've done different times,
different pH's. I have explants grown in aragose at 0 weeks that are not
suppose to stain but do, and real tissue that's suppose to stain red and
turns out green.
I started with Lillie's (3rd ed.) procedure. Does anyone have a tried,
true, and repeatable procedure? Is it my water, is it my staining dishes?
Can dry stain go bad?
Wit's end and other things to do. Thank you very much for any help. It's
bovine tissue.
Mary Lou

Kim Merriam
Novartis