[Histonet] RE: AP problem

C.M. van der Loos c.m.vanderloos <@t> amc.uva.nl
Sun Oct 17 13:20:49 CDT 2004

Dear Joanne,

Usually, AP staining doesn't show up in a crystal-like precipitate, but I have seen it a couple of times. Never found out what was the cause of it. Be sure that after your IHC procedure and before the AP visualization, the sections are washed at with a Tris-HCl pH8.5 buffer. Phosphate ions from PBS will inhibit your AP reaction. You also may mix the Permanent Red components first and than press immediately through a syringe-filter to remove all bigger particles in the AP solution.
Have you viewed your slides under a fluorescence microscope? A small amount of Permanent Red reaction product also gives a bright red fluorescence signal when using the rhodamine filter pack (green light).
Good suggestion by Richard to use a tonsil as a negative control. But, how about running the good old control blanc slide without any primary antibody?
Hope this helps.

Chris van der Loos, PhD
Dept. of Pathology
Academical Medical Center