[Histonet] acid alcohol versus acetic acid rinse, calling on Gary Gill to comment

Bryan Hewlett bhewlett <@t> cogeco.ca
Tue Oct 12 15:50:56 CDT 2004

Gayle and others,

With either acid, 1% acid alcohol or 4% aqueous acetic acid, what you are
doing is "acid differentiation"!
The use of terms such as 'Clarifier" is nothing but obfuscation!!!!!!
It doesn't matter if the hematoxylin solution is used progressively or
regressively, acid rinses will still do two things;
a) change the colour to red (hematoxylin is an indicator after all)
and b) destabilize the dye lake attachment to the chromatin and
progressively remove it.
The degree of both things happening is related to the pH and the time of
exposure.

I must also point out that a couple of dips in 1% acid alcohol will not
"decolourize" the section.
Decolourization is the complete removal or loss of colour(see Oxford
dictionary).
The use of the term decolourize should be restricted to these occasions and
not used to describe differentiation.

OK, rant over.

Irascible old guy,

Bryan