[Histonet] Artifacts or real - unusual mouse liver apperance in H&E

Christopher Ian Hill S2118495 <@t> student.rmit.edu.au
Mon Oct 11 18:21:58 CDT 2004

Can anyone with experiance processing mouse liver help?
We have consistently been getting cytoplasmic clearing and apparent autophagy of hepatocytes in mouse liver sections, as well as some regions which appear to be showing localised necrosis some with and some without infiltrate. We have tried different strains of mice and different people doing all steps. We have even tried different fixatives (Bouins and 10% NBF). These mice have not been treated with anything, and we see this both immediatly after they arrive as well as after a week and after months.
Is there something different about processing mouse livers that we should know? Or may we be seeign the manifestation of a hepatitis?
Chris Hill