[Histonet] Re: Ammonia water pH and other bluing solutions

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Tue Nov 30 10:59:12 CST 2004

You are correct in your concern about losing sections/wrinkling.  Although
we use a commercial solution, the ideal pH is 8.  We no longer use dilute
ammonia water, as with higher pH, it is likely the alkaline conditions can
cause section to fall off the slide.  (hmm isn't this called alkaline
protein hydrolysis that affects alkaline sensitive protein bonds. Been
there and had it happen particularly with large, precious difficult to
obtain decalcified bone sections.

We change the bluing solution DAILY in order to maintain our pH at
8.  Since water carryover can dilute the bluing solution further after many
slides are run through, the first of the week fresh change may have correct
pH but end of week may be entirely different after the watercarry over into
bluing solution. Bluing solution is cheap. This also goes for dilute acetic
acid solution after hematoxylin., particularly progressive hematoxylins
such as Gills, Richard Allen Hematoxylin 1, etc.

An excellent weak alkaline solution is Scotts tap water substitute made
with salts that are more alkaline in nature.   You can make this up in your
lab just as easily as ammonia water, but is is much gentler to the
section.  Daily changes would not be a huge expense.  It is also available
as a concentrate from various sources, Sigma and Surgipath come to
mind.  Never lost a section when using this reagent, but ammonia water has
caused grief in the past.

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor