[Histonet] Re: Counterstain for Von Kossa.

Jennifer Sipes jengirl1014 <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 06:52:04 CST 2004

I can give you the protocol that I have.

   Deparrafinize and rehydrate to dH2O.
   5% Silver Nitrate solution, place in bright sunlight or in front of a 60 watt light bulb (place foil or mirror behind jar to reflect light.  Leave for one hour or until calcium turns black.
   Rinse in dH2O, 3 changes.(I usually just use running dH2O for about 10-20 minutes)
   5% NaThioSulfate for 5 min.
   Wash in tap H2O, rinse in distilled.
   Nuclear fast red for 5 minutes.
   Wash in water.
   Dehydrate and coverslip.
   Crystals will be black and cellular structures will be red/pink.

If you have any more questions, feel free to write me.

Jennifer K. Sipes, RALAT
Sr. Laboratory Technician
Johns Hopkins University
Ross 929