[Histonet] Counterstain for Von Kossa

Connie McManus convmcm <@t> cc.usu.edu
Mon Nov 29 13:24:47 CST 2004

I think there is a really valuable learning experience in going to
libraries and doing a web search before asking question on this list.  I
have always found that digging out info on my own helps me learn thing
quicker and faster than having it spoon fed.  Having said that, I also
believe that this list provides a valuable reference for those whose
time may not allow them the luxury of going to the library or making an
extensive internet search.  I, for one, am happy to provide info to
anyone who asks.  My view is... if anyone feels the requested info is
too basic to bother with, don't bother replying.

Connie McManus
email: convmcm <@t> cc.usu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Paula
Pierce
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 11:35 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Counterstain for Von Kossa

Any Histology staining book will have a procedure for this stain.

Lots of counterstains to choose from, but nuclear fast red is the
standard.

I am going to rant here, so please be patient with me.

How many places out there are opening up labs or doing research with no
trained people? And if these new people have internet access to find the
histonet, they should be finding websites with actual procedures, AND
most colleges and universities have libraries with REAL books on
histology procedures. Go there and read. Since becoming registered 25
years ago,  when I was asked to do something new I would go to my own
library I have accumulated or the university library if it was really
unusual and read, because we did not have the internet.