[Histonet] Necropsies

Paul Howard Lockwood tigersnake <@t> ecybermind.net
Fri Nov 26 11:25:41 CST 2004

Dear Lesley
       The best certificatio program I can direct you  to is The American
Association For Laboratory Animal Science. There are three levels o
certificatio, but these are broad range certifications, and not for
Necrospy alone. I don't think is there is such a specific certification.
        Here's the web site. Http://www.aalas.org/
      As for job descriptions, we had three classifications fo employees
working in the necropsy lab. Pathologist: Obvisously a DVM with
appropriate verterinarian training and
certification through the governoring boards. A prosector bs. preferred,
but people could be promoted through time and grade. They were the people
who actually did the harvesting of organs, blood, and bone marrow, showing
any lesions to the doctor, and reporting all findings verbally to the
doctor and the technician. The Technicians could be BS or lower. The
placed organs in formalin, collected weights of organs, trimmed all
unwanted tissue from organ as directed, prepared all slides and other
sameple displays or containers.
    This is a pretty rough idea, and I hope is helps some. If there is any
further need for information, please do not hesitate to ask.
       Sincerely,
       Paul Lockwood, HT (ASCP) LaTG (AALAS0