[Histonet] RE: Elution reagent for Double Staining

C.M. van der Loos c.m.vanderloos <@t> amc.uva.nl
Wed Nov 24 04:12:40 CST 2004

Dear Amy,
Gayle is right: I don't regard sequential double staining with elution
in between as a very safe way of double staining. Only in case you wish
to stain to different cell populations, and you are sure there is no co-
localization involved, you may try sequential double staining. The
DakoCyto EnVision Doublestain kit is worthwhile to test.
The so called "doublestain block" is equal to the low pH glycin-HCl
buffer and isn't working either.
Some remarks:
1. Sequential double staining only works because of unique effective
sheltering of DAB chromogen. As far as I know there are no other
enzymatic chromogens with this sheltering capacity. Always apply DAB
after the 1st staining sequence!!!!!
2. You may try to remove reagents of the 1st staining sequence using
glycing-HCl buffer (0.1 M, pH2.2) however high affinity primaries will
stay at your tissue section anyway. In the DakoCyto EnVision
Doublestain kit the "doublestain block" is equal to the low pH glycin-
HCl buffer and isn't working either for removing high affinity
primaries. Always test your double staining with/without the elution
step.
3. Glycin-HCl buffer may damage the tissue morphology of an acetone-
fixed cryostat section. Don't do this.
4. Again: sequential double staining technique is not for visualizing
co-localization by mixed-colors! Furthermore, the brown-red (or brown-
blue if you wish) color combi is very poor for visualizing a
distinguishable mixed-color. Don't do this.
5. If you are immunostaining two antigens that are at very closely
together you may end up in trouble: DAB after the 1st staining sequence
will effectively shelter the 2nd antigen too.
Hope these do-s and don't-s work for you.

Chris van der Loos, PhD
Dept. of Pathology
Academical Medical Center
Amsterdam - The Netherlands