[Histonet] Can you use RNAlater or RNAlaterice to extract RNA from OCT-embedded tissues?

Charles Chiu cchiu <@t> itsa.ucsf.edu
Tue Nov 16 13:20:40 CST 2004

Hello,

      I am currently working with OCT-embedded tissues and am wondering if anyone has had success extracting RNA from OCT-embedded tissues or has a protocol for doing so.  I am considering RNAlater-ICE by Ambion but specifically --

(1)  is OCT fully water soluble and not infiltrative?
(2)  Should I use RNAlater-ICE as a preservative upon thawing the OCT-embedded tissues or just proceed with TRIzol extraction?
(3)  Do I need to get rid of the OCT embedding medium and if so, how do I do this?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Charles
Dr. Charles Chiu, M.D./Ph.D.