[Histonet] fixation with ethanol?

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Fri Nov 12 13:28:52 CST 2004

Ethanol fixation is can be used for fixation of glycogen, commonly lost in
aqueous fixatives.  Some use ethanol fixation with some success for
fixation of frozen sections for immunohistochemistry.  We enjoy that
success when it is combined with acetone, but it must be used with a word
of caution, ethanol will not work for all immunostaining needs - other
fixatives must be tested or optimized for any given antigen.

Often it is used in conjunction with other chemicals,  such as acetic
acid.  One famous and popular alcoholic fixative is Carnoys that has
ethanol and acetic acid.   I suggest you access a good histotechnology
textbook - there are a bunch out there and read up on fixation.   This
fixative is used for larger pieces of tissue destined for paraffin
processing.

Sheehan and Hrapchak Theory and Practice of Histotechnology although an
older text has a excellent discussion on chemicals used for fixation with
alcohol included.

At 12:00 PM 11/12/2004, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I have a question about fixation. I heard someone taking about using
>ethanol for fixation? Could someone please provide me with some info on
>how this can be done? What can it be used for?
>Just curious....
>Eva
>Georgetown University

Gayle Callis