[Histonet] HELP!!! - Autofluorescence in the mouse brain - HELP!!!!

Charles Scouten cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com
Fri Nov 12 09:06:27 CST 2004

Red Blood cells autofluresce.  Sounds like the brains are not perfused to wash out the red blood cells and ensure rapid penetration of fixative.  You need to perfuse the whole body at sacrifice to get out all red blood cells.  See the following link

http://www.myneurolab.com/myneurolab/mnl_products_detail.asp?idproduct=471001&catdesc=Histology+Equipment&CatThreeID=674&CatOneID=4&subcatdesc=Sacrifice+Equipment&idsubcategory=21

Cordially,
Charles W.  Scouten, Ph.D.
myNeuroLab.com
5918 Evergreen Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63134
Ph: 314 522 0300
FAX  314 522 0377
cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com
http://www.myneurolab.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Pawel,Pasierbek
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 2:19 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] HELP!!! - Autofluorescence in the mouse brain - HELP!!!!

Dear All,

I need you help. One of the users of our microscopy facility is doing immunoassaying on mouse brain slices. After PFA fixation he sees autofluorescence from certain regions of the brain. It looks like rather big grains in the cytoplasm. We see it in the FITC and Cy3 channel!
Unfortunately it is also visible in the unfixed preps.

I would be very grateful for any hint how to get rid of it. It is important that he still is able to do immunostainigs on the process samples.

Thank you very much and have a nice day.

Best regards from Vienna,

Pawel

Pawel PASIERBEK, PhD

Institute of Molecular Pathology (IMP)