[Histonet] cracking jars

Connie McManus convmcm <@t> cc.usu.edu
Tue Nov 2 08:56:54 CST 2004

Why does anyone use coplin jars to begin with???  Why not use a plastic
reagent tub (I use Tissue-Tek green tubs, VWR 25608-904) and slide racks
(VWR 25608-868)? The only down side I can see from this is the volume of
reagent used (150 - 200 mL).  But then again, what is wasted from
cracked coplin jars or ruined slides due to boiled out buffers.  I don't
use microwave, but I do use pressure cookers and these products are
excellent for HIER.  Hope this helps.

Connie McManus
GET INFORMED -- GET OUT AND VOTE!!

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Walker/Langdon
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 2:31 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] cracking jars

Hi  histonetters!

In answer to Rita's question:  I sure have had problems with cracking
coplin jars.  I'm trying to make a switch from microwave to steamer, but
am being foiled by shattering jars.  I've been using the same basic
approach as Rita.

Would love some imput,

Carrie Langdon, Ph.D.
Dept. Path. and Molecular Med.