[Histonet] microwave fixation

Wacha, Stefan Stefan.Wacha <@t> fmi.ch
Thu May 27 09:58:34 CDT 2004

Hi Histonetters,

I would like to do immunohistochemistry for synaptic markers on sections of dry-ice frozen mouse brains.
I heard that the best synaptic staining patterns are achieved with a fixative called NEOFIX combined with 30 secs microwave fixation.
Neofix, produced by MERCK, is unfortunately not commercially available anymore and I was not successful to find a replacement.
Would anyone have an idea where to get a similar fixative or has a synaptic staining protocol for sections that works better than PFA?

Thanks in advance!

Stefan Wacha
Friedrich Miescher Institute, Basel, Switzerland