[Histonet] RE: Counterstain to use with blue and red substrates

C.M. van der Loos c.m.vanderloos <@t> amc.uva.nl
Thu May 27 05:59:47 CDT 2004

Dear Douglas,
I presume that the Methyl green that has "covered some of the blue" as you said, was due to the fact that it diffuses away after aqueous mounting needed after using AEC as chromogen. You may try to replace AEC by Vector NovaRed or Romulin Red (BioCare), two peroxidase chromogens that stand organic mounting using VectaMount (a non-xylene based organic mountant) very well. Although the red color is more brownish than with AEC it still contrasts nicely with the dark-blue NBT/BCIP reaction product. Perhaps now your Methyl green counterstain will work for you.
Lots of success and let us know!

Chris van der Loos, PhD
Dept. of Pathology
Academic Medical Center