[Histonet] Slides & blocks - Biohazard?

Houston, Ronnie Ronnie_Houston <@t> bshsi.com
Wed May 19 15:55:22 CDT 2004

Kevin,

You should be reviewing documents from your home base, UK, before commenting
about prions.

Unless infected tissue is post-fixed in formic acid for 1 hour, and then
further fixed in formalin, it is still considered infectious. Shavings from
a CJD case must then be collected, bagged and incinerated.

However, once a section has been coverslipped and sealed, and then the slide
wiped with a recommended disinfectant, eg  sodium hypochlorite (20,000ppm
available chlorine), it is considered safe and should be treated as you
would a normal slide.

Incidentally, tissue and fluids from the female reproductive tract are not
classified as being infectious; although placenta is classed as being of low
infectivity and should be incinerated.

Ronnie

Ronnie Houston
Director of Anatomic Pathology