[Histonet] Retic nomenclature

RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com
Sat May 15 13:24:04 CDT 2004

Lance Erickson at Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City Utah
asks about the appropriate name for the reticulum stain, Gordon and Sweets or
any other.

The historically sanctioned name is reticulum stain, and there is no reason
to change it. Thirty or forty years ago "reticulin" was sometimes considered to
be a specific tissue component that the stain demonstrated, but since this is
no longer thought to be the case the word "reticulin" should be abandoned. -
Supposedly the PAS stain has similar specificity.

Reticulum stains go back to the Chandler Foot era of surgical pathology
(1930's-early 1940's), when it was thought that special stains would revolutionize
surgical pathology in the way that immunohistochemistry actually did in the
1980's. By the late 1960's the stain was out of use in many large centers; I
don't think I ever saw one when I was at Johns Hopkins between 1964 and 1972.

I always thought of it as an old codger's stain when I was young. Now that I
AM an old codger, I'm surprised it's still around.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Gastonia NC