[Histonet] Safety regs/Pathologists

Edwards, R.E. ree3 <@t> leicester.ac.uk
Fri May 14 04:37:14 CDT 2004

The  trouble  with  the  arrogant  old  fart(AOFs)  approach  to Health  and  Safety  matters is   not that  the  AOFs put  anyone  or  themselves in  any  danger  as  they  have  that  most  valuable  of  commodities, experience,  but  this  is  just  what  their  impressionable  juniors(IRs)  do  not  have and  it  is  these  IRs that  will  go  on and  make  the  mistakes.
                           Richard  Edwards(aged 56 and  a  quarter)
                                         MRC TOX UNIT
                                            LEICESTER..U.K..

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Marshall
Terry Dr,Consultant Histopathologist
Sent: 13 May 2004 16:55
To: Bill; histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Safety regs/Pathologists

Although Bill's views may sound rather prima donna-ish to some, I must support him.
Safety procedures and practices have become rather petty, tedious, and in my view, sometimes more dangerous than the perceived danger designed for.
Goggles prevent you seeing well - dangerous.
Feather blade holders prevent you sensing where the blade is - dangerous.
Safety hoods/cabinets prevent you seeing or doing anything in other than a clumsy way - dangerous, and so on.
Let sense rule over nonsense.

NB - this is NOT in any way anti-safety.

Dr Terry L Marshall, B.A.(Law), M.B.,Ch.B.,F.R.C.Path
 Consultant Pathologist
 Rotherham General Hospital
 South Yorkshire
 England