[Histonet] cox and sdh staining

Sharon Cooperman scoop <@t> mail.nih.gov
Thu May 13 17:08:01 CDT 2004

Dear Histonetters,

I would like to stain for cytochrome oxidase and succinate
dehydrogenase in the same or serial sections from the same animal per
the protocols in John Kiernan's book.  The COX protocol says to
briefly perfuse to get rid of blood and fix in formaldehyde for 15
secs  and then sucrose. The SDH protocol says to use fresh frozen
tissue.  Can I use fresh frozen tissue for the COX protocol and
quickly immersion fix in formaldehyde?  Also, could people direct me
to a good source of high quality formaldehyde or can I use
paraformaldehyde to fix and at what concentration?  I currently use
paraformaldehyde from EMS.  Thanks in advance for answering my
(probably very ignorant, I'm not a histologist) questions.

Sharon
--
Sharon Cooperman        	     <scoop <@t> mail.nih.gov>
NIH, NICHD, CBMB                     301.435-7735