[Histonet] where's the eosin?

Roberta Horner rjr6 <@t> psu.edu
Thu May 13 12:56:12 CDT 2004

Whenever this happens here it is usually the pH of the eosin that causes the
change of staining.  I keep my eosin between 4.80 and 4.90.  I just had this
happen about a month ago and it took me almost a week until we were no
longer blue.  Thank goodness the pathologists could still read the slides.
Roberta Horner HT/HTL
Animal Diagnostic Lab
Penn State University

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Gudrun Lang
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 1:34 PM
To: Histonetliste
Subject: [Histonet] where's the eosin?

Dear netters
We process the prostatatissue in makro-cassettes in double time of the
normal schedule in a VIP. NBF-70-80-96-100-Shell.sol-Paraffin total for 24
hours. The large sections are stained H&E by hand. (self-made Mayer's
haematox. 20 min; selfmade 2% Eosin with a few drops of glacial acetic acid
8 min ).
Recently it happend for two times, that the tissue doesn't accept the Eosin.
The sections remained blue and had only a shade of red. Normally our HE's
are almost purple. Funny is, that in one case, the first slides were stained
a few days before and looked good. The following slides of the same blocks
remained blue without red.
Could anyone give me a hint? Thanks in advance.
Gudrun Lang