[Histonet] Summary of Renal Biopsy Handling Responses

Vicki Gauch GauchV <@t> mail.amc.edu
Wed May 12 12:06:40 CDT 2004

Peggy asked if I would share the information I received on how
institutions handled renal biopsies-as far as who determined adequacy of
tissue, presence of glomeruli and division of tissue for IMF,EM and
routine histology. This is what I received:

4  - Pathologists do the determinations AND also divide the tissue.

3 - Technical staff do the determinations AND the division of tissue.

1 - Technical staff go on the biopsy but the pathologist makes the
      determinations and divides the tissue.

1 - Renal Lab Tech does the determinations and division of tissue.

1 - Surgeon/Radiologist do the determination and division of tissue.

1 - Surgeon/Radiologist brings the tissue to the pathologist who makes
      the determinations and division of tissue.
2 - Pathologist and technical staff - the pathologist makes the
     determinations and the tech divides the tissue.

At my institution the tech goes on the biopsy, makes the determination
and also divides the tissue.

Hope you find this information useful..
Have a nice day,
 Vicki