[Histonet] Frozen sections

Joanne Mauger MAUGER <@t> email.chop.edu
Wed May 12 11:00:15 CDT 2004

Wendy,
Storing tissue in the cryostat is a bad idea because it has an automatic defrost cycle for prevention of ice build up. The tissue will thaw and refreeze some, leading to freezing artifact-like holes in tissue, etc. Morphology suffers. I suggest cutting extra slides and keeping them frozen until staining, or store the tissue in a freezer temporarily.
Jo

>>> "Vicki Gauch" <GauchV <@t> mail.amc.edu> 05/12/04 11:07AM >>>
Wendy,
 We submit our frozen section blocks from the OR as soon as the frozen
is diagnosed.  The block is removed from the cryostat and placed in a
cassette in a bin of formalin with our other specimens that are being
grossed in the OR that day.  Those cases are all processed that night
and cut as surgicals the following morning.  The exceptions to that rule
are renal biopsies and skin biopsies that are specifically submitted for
IMF- those are kept frozen for long periods of time after the IMF has
been completed.

Vicki Gauch
AMCH
Albany, NY

>>> "Snyder, Wendy" <SnyderW <@t> uhcwv.org> 5/12/2004 10:52:38 AM >>>
Hello,
  I was wondering about a policy for the length of time a frozen
section
block can safely remain in a cryostat before it is taken out and
routinely
processed.  I have a pathologist that wants to leave the frozen tissue
block
in the cryostat for up to 3 days in case he wants to do immuno stains
from
it.  I would be interested to here of other policys from other
institutions
regarding this issue.

Thank you,
Wendy Snyder