[Histonet] Frozen sections

Stapf, Ross RossS <@t> BaylorHealth.edu
Wed May 12 10:45:35 CDT 2004

I suspect that if it stays frozen it will be fine.  The problem with
leaving it in the cryostat is the defrost cycle.  So it isn't staying
frozen.  I think it would be best kept in a -70 freezer.

I will be interested to see other opinions.

Ross M Stapf
Histopathology Manager
Baylor University Medical Center
3500 Gaston Ave.
Dallas, TX 75246
214-820-2465
214-820-4110 fax
RossS <@t> baylorhealth.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Snyder,
Wendy
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 9:53 AM
To: 'histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] Frozen sections

Hello,
  I was wondering about a policy for the length of time a frozen section
block can safely remain in a cryostat before it is taken out and
routinely processed.  I have a pathologist that wants to leave the
frozen tissue block in the cryostat for up to 3 days in case he wants to
do immuno stains from it.  I would be interested to here of other
policys from other institutions regarding this issue.

Thank you,
Wendy Snyder
United Hospital Center
Clarksburg, WV