[Histonet] Dilemma.....

brucea <@t> unimelb.edu.au brucea <@t> unimelb.edu.au
Mon May 10 20:59:16 CDT 2004

Hi everyone
I posted a question on the histonet a week ago but I don't think I
explained my dilemma clearly enough. I am using alkaline phosphatase
histochemistry (not immunohistochemistry!) on PFA-fixed whole
marsupial blastocysts and embryos to detect primordial germ cells
(PGCs). I use 1mg/ml Fast Blue salt and 1mg/ml Naphthol AS phosphate
sodium salt in 0.2M Tris buffer, pH 9.4 for the histochemistry, a
standard method for the detection of PGCs. The staining is good but I
have been told that it is not permanent. Ideally, after staining
these embryos histochemically for PGCs, I would like to dehydrate,
paraffin- embed, section and then stain them immunohistochemically
(ie, with antibodies) for other germ cell markers and several growth
factors. Does anyone know of a histochemical method for the detection
of germ cells that would later permit me to do this? We have
well-established methods for immunohistochemistry for several germ
cell markers in our lab. Thank you to the people who took the time to
help last time,
Dr Danielle Hickford
Research Fellow
Department of Zoology, University of Melbourne,
Australia 3010.
hickford <@t> unimelb.edu.au

--
BRUCE ABALOZ                           PH:61383446282
HISTOLOGIST                            FAX:61383447909

                Nobody can make you feel inferior without your
permission.  -  Eleanor Roosevelt
                          DANCE LIKE NO-ONE'S WATCHING
This electronic message and all contents contain information which
may be
privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.The
information is intended to be for the addressee only. If you are not
the addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution or use of the
contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this
electronic message in error, please notify us immediately and destroy
the original message and all copies.