[Histonet] Breast processing

Sarah Jones SJones <@t> cvm.tamu.edu
Mon May 10 16:59:05 CDT 2004

Hi Mary,
  In the past, I have used an alcohol based fixative to help with this
problem.  Davidson's fixative comes to mind or Anatech's buffered CBA (I
think it is called).  I agree with Connie that nothing beats proper
trimming with these specimens.  The old saying goes (cleaned up a bit)
Trash In, Trash Out!

Sarah Jones HT(ASCP)
Dept. of Vet. Anatomy & Public Health
Histology Lab
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-4458
phone: 979-845-3177
fax:  979-458-3499

>>> "Bliss, Mary E." <mary.bliss <@t> northwestpathology.com> 5/10/2004
3:18:43 PM >>>
Hi All,
How do other laboratorians  prepare fatty breast specimens for
histology?  Are you doing anything special?  We had a case today which
our doctor needs to have re-processed.  It appears unfixed, although
it
sat in formalin on the processor over the weekend before it processed
on
Sunday night.   The sections are large (too large in my opinion) and
not
adequately removed of fat. We are using toluene on our processors and
have considered going to Xylene.  We have tried Penn fixx in the past,
but discontinued using it years ago.  I know it is a complicated
subject, but just thought I would see if anyone has any bits of wisdom.

Mary E. Bliss

Lead Histologist

Northwest Pathology, P.S.

3614 Meridian St. Suite 100