[Histonet] What's cooking...? Only slides

Galbraith, Joe joseph-galbraith <@t> uiowa.edu
Fri May 7 15:33:34 CDT 2004

MinHan:

We get excellent results with a microwave pressure cooker from Nordicware.  The time at temperature and pressure is 4 minutes, but it takes 10 minutes to get up to temp/press for a total time in the microwave of 14 minutes.  We have a Biocare laboratory 'Decloaker' pressure cooker but even when the company experts come to work with us, our inexpensive microwave version consistently works better (much to the frustration of the company reps).
We even get good to excellent retention of morphology in addition to far better antigen retrieval than all other systems we have tested (and we have tried them all).

Good luck,

Joe Galbraith

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Tan,
MinHan
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 9:52 AM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] What's cooking...? Only slides

Good morning,

We are planning to purchase a pressure cooker immediately for a
particularly troublesome antigen

Unfortunately, no one here has used one before for antigen retrieval,
and we have a couple of questions (which may seem rather silly).

a. Most posts on Histonet seem to have used either the Nordicware cooker
($45) or the Biocare decloaker ($?). Does a 'decloaker' work differently
from a pressure cooker?

b. Pressure cooking of slides - most protocols seems to range from 3 min
- 5 min. I haven't done much cooking myself (thanks to a wonderful
wife), but others in my lab assure me that it takes time for a cooker to
build up pressure. In steam retrieval, I usually check to ensure that
the buffer is at 95 deg C before starting AR. Is there some kind of
equivalent for this in 'pressure cooking'?

Thanks! (and apologies for my culinary incompetence)

Min-Han Tan

This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient(s) please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.  Thank you.