[Histonet] Cracking tissue

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Thu May 6 15:59:31 CDT 2004

Question: Are your prefixed hearts cryoprotected with 20 to 30% sucrose
before snap freezing?

At 03:35 PM 5/6/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello All,
>   I am cutting transverse sections of fixed, frozen rat heart on a
cryotstat.  When I mount my sections immediately after cutting, the
histology looks perfect, but within two minutes of warming(room temp.) onto
Fisherbrand Superfrost Plus slides, the tissue begins to crack (more
specifically the muscle fibers tend to seperate from one another).  Does
anyone know a solution to or a cause of this problem?

>Thanks in advance,
>
>Frederic Grau
>Dept. Neurobiology & Behavior
>S.U.N.Y. Stony Brook