Fwd: Re: [Histonet] Re: Polyester wax (with earlier citations)

Ian Montgomery ian.montgomery <@t> bio.gla.ac.uk
Thu May 6 05:54:47 CDT 2004

         Here I am in sunny Glasgow living in a time warp. Automation,
what's that? Hand process, make my own stains, sharpen knives, name it and
I'm still doing it. Well apart from wooden blocks, gave that up 30 odd
years ago. I'm such a sad case that if you ask me what a particular
chemical in my store is for I'll tell you exactly and how much is used. Sad
thing is, I'll be retiring shortly and all the knowledge will go with me.
Ian.

>Hi Paul,
>
>Lots of good times;
>but you forgot about the blistered finger tips from sticking those wax
>blocks on wooden blocks(the smaller the block-the bigger the blister!), and
>all the hand processing, which mainly involved much frantic dashing about
>twirling multiple pots of tissue to provide agitation!
>Who can forget about mouth pipetting whilst eating sandwiches at the
>staining bench and brewing the tea over a bunsen during waiting times!
>If I recall correctly, the pipes were full of either St. Bruno flake or
>'Herbal' tobacco and between chuffs of smoke, most of the conversation was
>punctuated by phrases such as "eh up", "y'whot", "gerroff" and "owd ya
>tight", interspersed with "cool man", "crazy daddy" and "all gone". Ahhh...
>sweet memories.
>
>Bryan Hewlett
>Hamilton, Ont.
>Canada
>(formerly Nottingham, England)

Dr. Ian Montgomery,
Histotechnology,
Graham Kerr Building,
Institute of Biomedical & Life Sciences,
University of Glasgow,
Glasgow,
G12 8QQ.
Tel: 0141 339 8855