[Histonet] Grocott's Methenamine Silver Stain

Kathleen Roberts kgrobert <@t> rci.rutgers.edu
Wed May 5 14:43:42 CDT 2004

As for the decal, I was afraid that the decal solution (Fisher's Cal-EX)
might have something to do with it...but the control block was tissue
that did not need to be decal'd, so I think something else is afoot, and
the decal isn't the whole story.

True, about there possibly being no fungi in the lungs...these rats were
sneezing, not coughing or wheezing, so I am told, so it may not have had
time to spread to the lungs, but the vet wanted to check.  H&E of some
of the lungs does show an inflammatory reaction, however, even though
there appear to be no fungi.  Little to no inflammation seen in the
sinuses, though that may have been eaten away by the decal, possibly.

As for waterbath vs. incubator....I used an incubator.  I'll try the
waterbath next time.

And I agree with you about comparing Candida control with
Aspergillus...but this block is all we have right now, and the fact that
*nothing is staining at all* with Grocott's, neither Candida control nor
Aspergillus-infected subjects is fishy.

Mmm, should I preheat the methenamine silver solution to 60 degrees C
before putting the slides in?  My protocol didn't say to do that, but I
think someone here on the list said they did that...must search the
archives.

Thanks for your input!
Kathleen