[Histonet] CD31/PECAM-1

Joanne Mauger MAUGER <@t> email.chop.edu
Mon Mar 29 06:44:53 CST 2004

To Isaiah'
I used CD31 from Pharmingen also, about 6 years ago. I used a 1:50 dilution after retreieval with pepsin for 30-40 min. at 37C(depending on length of fixation.
If the tumors are human cells in mice, the Dako anti human CD31 will probably work at about the same dilution, with pepsin as well.
Jo

>>> "Isaiah G. Schauer" <is135475 <@t> bcm.tmc.edu> 03/27/04 08:41PM >>>
Histonetters,

Our lab has used Pharmingen's CD31 antibody (cat# 01951A/D) with great
results for a couple years for paraffin-embedded mouse tissue IHC.
Recently, they decided to "sublet" the production of this antibody to a
company called Cymbus, which sells the antibody at 1/10th the original
protein concentration. We've called Pharmingen regarding this, and they
staunchly maintain that there is no difference between their antibody
and the Cymbus rendition.

We now have to use a 1:5 dilution, on mouse xenograft tumors fixed in
4% paraformaldehyde 16 hrs at 4C. The cost of repeatedly using this Ab
has now become prohibitive for the lab.

Can anyone recommend a better CD31/PECAM-1 antibody for mouse xenograft
IHC on 4% PF-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue? Histonet archive searches
have turned up Santa Cruz (cat# sc-1506), Dako (cat# M0823, clone
JC-70A) and Serotec (cat# MCA1334G) as possible suppliers, but I wanted
to hear from someone with paraformaldehyde-fixed, mouse tissue
experience.

We don't currently use enzymatic digestion prior to staining, but I've
read on Histonet of people using proteinase K, pronase or trypsin at
varying temperatures for varying times for CD31 staining. Might anyone
recommend a starting time/temp for my particular tissue type/fixation
that could allow me to increase the 1:5 dilution of the Pharmingen
antibody?

Thanks for your help and time.

Sincerely,
Isaiah Schauer

3rd year graduate student
Lab of David R. Rowley, Ph.D.
Baylor College of Medicine
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology
One Baylor Plaza, room 326D
Houston, TX 77030

lab: 713-798-6221
fax: 713-790-1275