[Histonet] RE: CD4/CD25/TGFB Antibodies; Filter choices for Leica

C.M. van der Loos c.m.vanderloos <@t> amc.uva.nl
Fri Mar 26 05:55:44 CST 2004

Dear Juan,
Persumed your investigation is on human tissues I have the following suggestions for you.
For double staining of CD4/CD25 and CD8/CD25 I would strongly recommend you to focus on cryostat sections for two reasons. In the first place I have tested a couple of CD25 antibodies that suppose to work on FFPE sections but so far I am not very impressed. CD25 staining on cryo's seems much more reliable to me (DAKO, Becton&Dickinson, etc.). In the second place, the performance of fluorescence staining techniques on FFPE sections is not as ideal because of autofluorescence of formaldehyde-fixed tissues. Again, acetone-fixed cryostat sections do not share this type of problem.
For a protocol you may test this:

1. CD4 or CD8
2. GAM/fluorochrome 1
3. Normal Mouse Serum
4. CD25/fluorochrome 2

On the otherhand the IHC staining of TGFB on cryo's, should be considered as tricky and perhaps even impossible (despite many papers that have been published...). The point is that TGFB is a small protein that tends to leak away from your cryo's (see: JHC 49:699-709, 2001 "IHC detection of IFNgamma: fake or fact?"). Although I don't have personal experience with TGFB, I have heard about problems about the IHC detection completeley similar to our IFNgamma IHC visualization failure. TGFB is perhaps detected much more reliable using optimally fixed FFPE sections. Given of course that the antigen is surviving the embedding procedure.
Lots of success,
Chris van der Loos, PhD
Dept. of Pathology
Academical Medical Center