[Histonet] Wendy England/ iron smears

Joyce Cline jcline <@t> wchsys.org
Mon Mar 22 14:56:30 CST 2004

I use an old fashioned way of fixing the bone marrow smears. We had trouble with no reaction on our smears. Now we use a coplin jar with a small piece of paper towel in the bottom, drop 10% buffered formalin to saturate the paper towel but not to reach the blood on the slides. Leave the slides in for 10 minutes and stain normally. We have not had any trouble with an iron reaction since using this method. But do not leave the slides in more than 15 minutes max.