[Histonet] CPT charge code

Amy Self ASelf <@t> gmhsc.com
Mon Mar 22 09:51:49 CST 2004

	Histonetters,

	I need some help about CPT charge codes.... We have been in several
discussions about the CPT code 88108.The AMA coding book states the 88108 is
Cytopathology, concentration technique, smears and interpretation.  What
does concentration technique mean?  I was told if the smears were prepared
from one of the following methods that is concentration technique; cytospin,
autocyte, or thin prep. And should be coded 88108.
	 Now we spin our fluids down by centrifuge, pour off the supernatent
and pipette a drop of the sediment that collects in the bottom of the tube
onto a slide and smear with a sister slide.  I was told that this was not
concentration technique and therefore should be coded as 88104. I have been
using 88104 until this morning - I was told to start using code 88108.
Which code should I really use for these cytopathology cases?   Thanks,
Amy(confused)

Note:  The information contained in this message may be privileged and
please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from
your computer.  Thank you.