[Histonet] xylene substitute

Gladney, Diane C Ms MACH Diane.Gladney <@t> se.amedd.army.mil
Mon Mar 15 15:00:52 CST 2004

Eddy,

I have used Thermo Electron (formerly Shandon) Xylene Substitute in my
auto-stainer for years without any problems. BUT I only use it in the
deparaffinization at the beginning of the staining series. I use Xylene in
the last three stations of the stainer. Our mounting medium has xylene as
the solvent so the substitute is not compatible with the mounting medium. I
have tried using the xylene substitute mounting media and I do not like the
results. Therefore, we stay with a good old tried and true mounting medium.
At least we have considerably cut our use of Xylene as we also use the same
xylene substitute in our processors. If you have any other questions, please
feel free to contact me.

Happy Cutting,
Diane

Diane C. Gladney, HT (ASCP)