[Histonet] keeping fingernail and toenail on the slide

Bauer, Karen Bauer.Karen <@t> mayo.edu
Fri Mar 5 12:13:50 CST 2004

On all finger/toe nails, we take plus slides and smear a little Elmers Glue
on them.  Cut, apply sections and heat normally with the rest of the slides.
(We always cut a few extras, just in case they order a GMS and PAS.)

They actually stay on the slides quite well, although we get an occasional
stubborn one once in a while.  We do our GMS stain in the microwave, and
they stay on during the heat an all.

Give it a try... Good Luck!!

Karen Bauer HT(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Department of Pathology
Luther Hospital
Eau Claire, WI

-----Original Message-----
From: Georgine Whitman [mailto:whitmang <@t> trinity-health.org]
Sent: Friday, March 05, 2004 10:37 AM
To: histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu
Subject: [Histonet] keeping fingernail and toenail on the slide

we are having a problem keeping the nail tissue on our slides. we have used
plus slides, plus slides with albumin on it, albumin on it and in the oven
for about 5 minutes. most of the time the tissue stays on the h&e slide. but
with the pas notttttttttttttttt.  We use koh to soften the nail prior to
processing and before we cut the block. We also have soaked it in decal
before cutting the block.
                                                     Thanks Georgine
                                                        Livonia MI