[Histonet] Re: Embedding of animal vessel.

Sulekha Ravi sulekhababy <@t> yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 30 09:21:38 CDT 2004

Dear Marks Anjela,
In our lab we used to embed animal vessel with implant in PMMA.( Poly Methyl Metha Acrylate). The specimen after fixation has to be dehydrated in ascending grades of alcohol (70%, 80%, 96% and 100%) for 2 days each. Then give a change of alcohol - Acetone mixture ( 1:1 ratio ) for 1 day. Again keep the tissue back in 100% alcohol for 1 more day. Infilterate with PMMA ( Which was washed with 5% sodium hydroxide solution to remove inhibitor ) for 6 to 8 days ( 2 changes). Now it is ready for embedding in PMMA in which 1% benzoyl peroxide is added to initiate polymerization. Avoid oxygenation by keeping the bottle with the sample air tight. After 3 or 4 days the block can be taken out by breaking the bottle. This block is ready to cut usind diamond saw.
Sulekha.