[Histonet] antigen retreival

Connie McManus convmcm <@t> cc.usu.edu
Wed Jun 30 09:23:32 CDT 2004

I have two pressure cookers... the Decloaker from Biocare and another
one from Cell Marque.  I like them because you can set time and temp to
suit your needs.  You can use either pressure/heat or you can steam at a
set temp and it maintains that temperature.   (Bill, as an FYI --- This
method of antigen retrieval is commonly referred to as Heat Induced
Epitope Retrieval -- HIER).  I also have a table top autoclave that I
used when I first set up CWD testing.  But when we became affiliated
with the NVSL (National Veterinary Service Lab), we were required to use
the same equipment and reagents they use, and so we acquired the Biocare
decloaker.

In our CWD and scrapie IHC's we use DAKO's target retrieval buffer, but
when I was using the table top, I used citrate buffer.  I've been
experimenting with Cell Marque's Declere.  So far, I really like this
stuff because you can put your slides directly from the drying oven into
the Declere, pressure cook it for 15 minutes and you're sections are
deparaffinized, hydrated & antigen retrieved all in one step.  I've had
excellent results with it.  Has anyone else tried this reagent?  I'm
interested in your thoughts about it.  Feel free to reply privately if
you like.

Just think, you get all that and a bag of chips!! *g*

Connie McManus
Utah Veterinary Diagnostics Laboratory
Utah State University
Logan, UT