[Histonet] cryosections problem

Charles Scouten cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com
Mon Jun 28 15:58:25 CDT 2004

Another possiblility, Inga, try using a cold artists paint brush, rotate the slice on, then rotate it off.  -23 is too cold for brain sections, try -19 - 15.  The blade should be 5 degrees colder that the tissue.

Cordially,
Charles W.  Scouten, Ph.D.
myNeuroLab.com
5918 Evergreen Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63134
Ph: 314 522 0300
FAX  314 522 0377
cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com
http://www.myneurolab.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Gareth Davis
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 2:41 PM
To: Inga Hansson
Cc: Histonet
Subject: Re: [Histonet] cryosections problem

I have cut brain sections from mice and rats, and I have found that floating the cryosections in cold buffer (PBS or Sorenson's) is a great help.  Once the sections hit the PBS they spread and can be floated onto a slide.  I have tried to cut brain sections and immediately attach them to slides, and it never worked.  I usually got air bubbles or wrinkles in the sections.
Hope this helps,
Gareth Davis

Inga Hansson <Inga.Hansson <@t> neuro.uu.se> wrote:
Hi everyone!

I´m trying to section PFA-fixed and sucrose protected mouse brain.
The sections curl and break when I try to put them on the glass. I don´t know what temperature to use; is -23 too low? Should I set the same temperature on the knife as the specimen? Cold or warm slides?

Any suggestions are gratefully appreciated!!

Thanks!

Inga
--

Inga Hansson