[Histonet] SPURR

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Thu Jun 24 19:31:44 CDT 2004

Hi Angela:

    If the tissue is "gooey" something is very wrong. Areas of the block
with no tissue are fine? Sounds like you are not getting all of the
water or alcohol out of the tissue. Blood vessel walls are not thick
enough to be a problem (unless you are processing aorta from a whale)
unless you are using a very short  schedule or you have a lot of
connective tissue along with the vessel. Dehydration with graded
ethanols, clearing with propylene oxide and infiltration with Spurr (3
changes on a rotator) should work. Maybe your absolute ethanol has water
in it? Maybe your prop. oxide is contaminated? Maybe one of your Spurr
components is bad (although this is unlikely)?

Geoff

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.