[Histonet] The use of reducing agents in antigen retrieval?

Houston, Ronnie Ronnie_Houston <@t> bshsi.com
Mon Jun 21 12:50:47 CDT 2004

Not sure if this will help, but I did some work on antibodies that only
recognized denatured proteins on western blots.
If I remember correctly, a 5 minute room temperature pretreatment with 1%
sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS) worked on a couple of antibodies I couldn't get
to work by IHC otherwise. I don't have the actual papers to hand, but the
references are as follows:

Antigen retrieval in cryostat tissue sections and cultured cells by
treatment with sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS).  		Brown D et al.
Histochem Cell Biol 1996; 105: 261-267

Improved immunodetection of nuclear antigens after SDS treatment of
formaldehyde-fixed cells.	Wilson DM, Bianchi C
J Histochem Cytochem 1999; 47: 1095-1100

There is another unconventional technique that was suggested some years back
for carbohydrate and protein antigens using N-glycanase F, but I have no
personal experience of the results.

Unconventional antigen retrieval for carbohydrate and protein antigens. Guhl
B et al
Histochem Cell Biol 1998; 110: 603-611

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Ronnie