[Histonet] Exploding skin samples

Margaret Blount mab70 <@t> medschl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 21 11:26:51 CDT 2004

I have been given some mouse skin fixed in formalin (neutral buffered from
Sigma, equivalent to what we used to call 10% neutral buffered formalin). I
have tried several processes and even tried post fixing in Bouin's fluid as
suggested by a former colleague who did a lot of rat skin sections in a
previous job. They are spreading on the waterbath, especially around the fat
layer at the base of the dermis. It is important to us to get good sections
of these samples, can anyone suggest any other procedures I can try? My
process times were 30 minutes in 50, 60, 70, 80, 90., 100% ethanol, one
ethanol for 1 hour, 50:50 ethanol/xylene 30 mins, ethanol 30 mins, 2
xylenes 30 mins, 2 x paraffin for 30 mins, embed. I only have 2 wax baths on
my processor and have tried returning samples to wax for longer impregnation
times without success.

I propose to try out a number of different fixatives such as formol alcohol,
methacarn, Bouin's as primary fixation and compare with NBF. Any suggestions
would be most gratefully received.

Thanks a lot

Margaret

Margaret Blount