[Histonet] unfixed tissue

Julia Edgar je22r <@t> udcf.gla.ac.uk
Thu Jun 17 07:21:04 CDT 2004

Dear Nathalie

The fixative you use will depend on the epitope and the antibody you are using. I have used the following fixatives on brain tissue
(1) 4% paraformaldehyde
(2) methanol at -20oC
(3) acetone at -20oC
All for 10-20 minutes.
Generally, the fixation should be done before IHC and after the tissue has had time to dry onto the slides.

Hope this helps
Julia
Julia Edgar (BSc, PhD)
University of Glasgow Veterinary School
e-mail: je22r <@t> udcf.gla.ac.uk

... However, the
tissue is so fragile after the immunohistochemistry, I was wondering what
methods I might use to postfix. I've had suggestions/read about placing
the sections for 20 minutes in 4% paraformaldehyde as well as the use of
methanol. Anyone have good experiences with this? Is it better to fix
right before or after the IHC? All suggestions much appreciated!