[Histonet] fibrin stain-Reply

bhewlett <@t> cogeco.ca bhewlett <@t> cogeco.ca
Sun Jun 6 09:59:47 CDT 2004

Fred,Peggy and Bryan,

The so-called WHO stain being referred to, is from one of the information sheets Bryan Llewellyn mentions.

It was a technique recommended for staining mixed tumours of the lung. Basically, it consisted of Alcian blue pH2.5
followed by the Masson HPS stain. Resulting in blue mucin and red keratin on a largely yellow background. Some fibrin
also stains red as a side benefit.
Early in the sixty's Atwood published a staining technique for the demonstration of inhaled amniotic fluid.
It consisted of Alcian Green at pH2.5(Alcian blue works just as well) followed by Lendrum's Phloxine-Tartrazine(HPT).
This also results in blue mucin and red keratin on a yellow background with some fibrin staining red as a side benefit.
Having tried both techniques, I much prefer Atwood's.
The yellowsolve component is more robust and easier to control.

Regards,

Bryan H.